Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A revolution in mornings..and all day really

When we decided to move to Israel there were a lot of things swirling around in my mind.  It's not everyday that you move to a new country with a new language, new culture and new community.  A lot of unknown things can be positively anticipated with the promise of "it's an adventure!" or "this will make a great story to tell the kids one day" or "well at least we can laugh about it later" type statements.  However, there was one unknown that I couldn't quite do away with that easily.

I had heard from some fairly reliable sources that although I was entering into the land flowing with milk and honey, this land did not flow with something else.  Something that I considered relatively essential to my daily life.  My morning coffee.  Now I don't need coffee for the caffeine fix (if I keep saying it, it makes it true, right?) but I like it for the taste/feelings it evokes; so a substitute (like instant or espresso) doesn't really do it for me. It was in Israel that I discovered that I'm not the coffee connoisseur I always like to think I am ;)  I just really don't like espresso or espresso based coffee.  I tried.  I've tried to embrace the cappuccino and latte (way too much milk) and have come pretty close to liking an americano, all of which you can get here and are pretty fantastic according to people who like Italian based coffees.

Side note: I love these types of coffee for dessert or special occasions, just not as my morning coffee. For that I like the plain old, roasted bean, drip, filter coffee.  

The closest to drip coffee here is instant (which I tried to like but failed) and botz which literally means "mud".  Botz is Turkish coffee that is made like instant coffee, except that it doesn't dissolve so you let the grounds settle to the bottom and then avoid drinking them.  This is the type of coffee that Zach has come to enjoy.  But I just couldn't do it.  So I had settled for instant and americanos.  Then something glorious happened.  My dear brother got me a large supply of coffee beans and I found a little french press here (which I've seen used mainly for loose tea), and voila!!  My life is changed - or well, at least back to some kind of normal :)

Happy Drinking!
(coffee.org)

another side note - it's quite possible that you can get this type of coffee here but that I haven't been able to find where to buy it, or what it is called, or what its name looks like in Hebrew.  For now I'm loving my imported stuff :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow, I feel your pain on this one! I like to think I'm not addicted to coffee either, but who can go for months without a cup of real coffee?!? What a great brother you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy, french press!! now i just need some decaf beans so i can sleep when Bronwen sleeps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a true Melin! Coffee IS an experience and has to be gotten just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh "botz is what we had to drink in Kosovo after every dinner - props to Zach for acquiring a taste for it!

    ReplyDelete