Monday, June 4, 2012

Language Fun

I know, two posts in one day.  Whoa!

Fun with Hebrew:

Today I had a meeting downtown (in a government building) and forgot that the guards at this building don't usually speak English (and being government they care why you're there).  I thought of avoiding eye contact and just going to the elevators, but that usually isn't a good move in Israel...so this is what happened:

Guard:  "something I don't understand"
Me (in Hebrew): ummmm.. I don't speak Hebrew, do you speak English?  (best sentence to learn - but kind of weird when you are saying, in Hebrew, that you don't speak it)
Guard (in perfect English) "No, I only speak Russian and Hebrew.  Do you speak Russian?"
???????
(the more I think of this, the more I realize that he had probably just learned this sentence in English like mine above.  Either that or it was a slow day and he was just having fun)
...so what followed was me trying to explain that I had a meeting on the fourth floor, realizing that I only know the verb "to meet" (at least I hope that's what I said)
" I am meeting...ummmm....... 4......ummmm....pointing up at the ceiling"

Luckily he had pity on me, figured it out, repeated something in Hebrew to which I nodded and smiled and said a lot of "todah's" (thank you) and he let me through (even though I had forgotten my passport, so lucky day for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment